Tuesday 7 July 2009

Gazing with my Ears

During a thunderstorm, there is nothing like a warm cup of tea and being under 4 different blankets. My favorite one is a tattered green and black throw with designs of golfers woven into the ends. It's lasted me almost a decade and is one I hope I can pass on one day.

Sitting at my desk during a crack of thunder makes me long for that cuppa under my golf blanket, but something with even more meaning to me is a personal playlist.

Working behind a bar was always great, not only because of the disposable income, but because I was able to pick and choose the upbeat tunes, until one day I played snow patrol during a dinner rush and literally got booed out from behind the bar! When I worked at a hedge fun, to listen to music was just easier than draping a 5ft "Fire Me" banner across one's cubicle.

One of the many things I love about working in advertising, is that from time to time you need a pair of headphones to keep you in the zone! Furthermore, here on the fifth floor of Fallon,I am lucky enough to have an sky light that is 50% of the roof top. On sunny days it makes me hate being inside, but during thunderstorms its fantastic!

Listening to the crack of thunder and pitter patter of rain on a window can take me back to thunderstorms on the cape, just like listening to my headphones can take me back to rainy days in college sitting in a small Randal Hall dorm room playing with scraps of paper and avoiding studying. For me that room had two songs, California Love by Tupac Shakur and The Promise by Tracey Chapman.

Superman Might have x-ray and magnified vision as well as super sonic hearing but I, ADventure Lad, find the best way to see something is with my ears.

Thunderstorms and playlists of all sorts, just like poems and stories, conjure up more images in your mind than your eyes could ever capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment