Wednesday 1 July 2009

All In A Day’s Work: Part I

Do you ever walk out the door and forget your wallet, only you’re a good mile away from the front door before you realize it? I am guilty of this all the time, but in my case, I tend to leave my goggles behind. You might be wondering what I’m going on about. Well when I’m flying high above ADLand, my eyes become a net, catching every creepy crawly with wings…Yuk!

Keeping your vision clear is your only means to getting hired! This is also vital for anyone who is considering applying for work experience or anyone who is already on a placement in a creative agency. The first thing to understand is that in most cases graduate schemes vary greatly from work experience! I learned that at JWT.

There is an infamous catch-22 within most creative industries for all those who are starting out. While you need to show academic performance such as a degree or more, you also need to have relevant work experience however, you need work experience, to get work experience.

If you just got a head ache, don’t worry. I am going to devote a few posts going forward, for some tips on how to make this catch-22 work in your favour.

**Please take note, I am only sharing what has worked for me, and hopefully you can get a sense of just who AD Lad is from prior posts.**

What worked for me might not exactly work for you. This is because every person is different and that is what agencies are looking for! However, if you can gain some insight as to what your particular angle will be when keeping in touch with industry leaders, picking a mentor, filling out those applications and how to approach your first day on a placement, you will already be well on your way to getting noticed!

1 comment: