Tuesday 30 June 2009

It’s A Funny Biz

The phrase “no two days are the same” is often said when advertising, advertising. This is no truer in this industry than it is in life. Adventure is around every corner. Sometimes adventure can be traumatising and other times, insightful. Life is about living in the unexpected, not just being aware of it.

Last Friday ended my stint with Saatchi London with a BBQ, paddling pool, yummy coronas and a very large super soaker! Monday I started back at Fallon during Fallon Festival!! Throughout the week, speakers such as Thomas Gensemer, Matthew Freud, Ken Livingstone, Mark Earls, Robert Senior and Laurence Green are all in the flesh, in very intimate and open Q&A sessions about their industries, cultural views, and lives in general.

Over the past two years, I have been aware of the unexpected, from an internship amidst big wigs in the Gherkin, working for top creative power houses, travelling to random towns in England, VIP treatment at the O2, battling the bureaucracy any international student faces with the Home Office, living on a budget of £90 pw, and more recently being burgled.

While I am excited about the people I’ve met and worked with, my life is not a resume. I have only been shaken to my core quite a few times by the outcomes of personal choices and achievements, but more so by distress. On Sunday afternoon, I came home to find my flat had been burgled. Yes, even ADventure Lad can't be ahead of all the wrong doers. Luckily, only my Xbox was taken…::PHEW::…but I was left with a feeling of vulnerability and violation.

This experience and my adventures to-date, have further helped to shape my outlook on tomorrow and my efforts live more within the unexpected than before.

When listening to my friends comforting words and hearing the early stories of some of today’s leaders, reminded me that no two days are ever supposed to be the same. To think “It could never happen to me” is to open yourself up to a world of naivety, sometimes for the best, though more often not. It is impossible to be prepared for everything, but certainty the excitement comes from living in the unexpected by jumping at every opportunity, being vigilantly persistent and effusively positive in the face of every dissimilar day.

No comments:

Post a Comment